Madeira Travel Guide

 


Travel Guides> > Monuments, Churches, Chapels, Fortresses in Madeira Island ( Funchal )

São José Fort









It was in the western part of  Funchal bay that there were two islets - two land masses that the discoverers of Madeira Island - João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira, took refuge in 1419 before setting foot on the nearby island whose astonishing jungle-like impenetrability of the forests gave the newcomers cause to hesitate, for tree-felling as they knew it was hardly in question in these stubborn thickets.

On the smaliest islet they cut into lhe rock, forming steps that remain untouched, even today. This atoll was the first stronghold of Madeira. At one of its sea-extending extremities one can still make out lhe triangular outline from where lhe navigators fastened their ships.

It was through this precise islet that, for many years, commodities entered and left the island; in the 15th century the sugar, in the 18th century the wine and in the 20th century the coal.

 

www.fortesaojose.com



Nearby Accommodation:

B&B Quinta da Fonte

Holiday Cottages Quinta Devónia

Holiday Apartments Casa do Papagaio Verde

Vila Calaça

Holiday Apartments Vila Marta

Aparthotel Quinta Mãe dos Homens

Apartments Bela Santiago

Hotel Apartamentos - Reno

Residencial Mariazinha


Outdoor activities - activities, tours, rentals:

Walking tours

Canyoning

Byke tours

Boat trips

Excursions

Jeep tours

Wales and Dolphin watching

Scuba diving